Feb. 7, 2012
· The 2012 BIG EAST Conference Championships will be held in Pittsburgh, Pa. The diving competition will take place on Feb. 10-12 with the swimming action on Feb. 15-18.
· Louisville senior Carlos Almeida punched his ticket to the 2012 London Olympics while participating in the 2011 AT&T Winter National Championships in Atlanta, Ga. Almeida finished the 100-meter breaststroke in 1:01.44, besting the cut of 1:01.57 needed to qualify. He will represent his home country of Portugal in the Games.
· To date, athletes from six schools have provisionally qualified for the NCAA Championships. Cincinnati (Josefin Wede, Helena Pikhartova), Louisville (Dani Barbiea, Lacey Bobo, Aileen Cole, Krissie Brandenburg, Brendon Andrews, Matt Schlytter, Caryle Blondell, Samuel Hoekstra, Grite Apanaviciute, Eszter Povazsay, Joao De Lucca, Abby Chin, Johanna Cowley, Erika Wozniak, Victoria Mitchell, Albert Lloyd, Alex Burtch, Raine Thompson, Lindsay Rogers, Tim Collins, Kameron Chastain, Tanja Killiainen, Fanny Lilliestrom, Carlos Almeida, Riley Martin, Pedro Oliveira, Kenny Crapse, Addison Bray, Kevin Bandy and Gisselle Kohoyda), Notre Dame (Frank Dyer, Chris Johnson, Kevin Overholt, John McGinley, Amy Prestinario, Emma Reaney, Kelly Ryan, Hannah Bowen, Zach Stephens, Suzanne Bessire, Bill Bass, Bertie Nel, Sarah Dotzel, Lauren Stauder and Bridget Casey), Pittsburgh (Alex Rodenkirk, Morne Boshoff, Jon Lierley, Jake Van Roekel, Adam Maczewski, Kourosh Ahani and Ben Solari), Rutgers (Trisha Averill), and West Virginia (Tim Squires, Taylor Camp, Scott Fetsko, Brad Eishenseer, Kale Kudma, Mandie Nugent, Danielle Smith, Kata Fodor, Rachael Burnett, Jake Querciagrossa, Daeton Davenport, Breanna McCann and Julie Ogden) will all be represented.
· Louisville sophomore DeLuca ranks among the top NCAA swimmers in two events. He sits at seventh in the 100 freestyle with a time of 43.16 and eighth the 200 free at 1:35.64.
· Notre Dame sophomore Frank Dyer ranks seventh nationally in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:35.58.
· Cardinal senior Riley Martin is tied for fourth in the nation in the 500 freestyle (4:18.16).
· Freshman Emma Reaney of Notre Dame recorded the nation's ninth-fastest time in the 200 IM with 1:57.67.
· The Louisville men's 800-yard free relay team is ranked eighth nationally with a time of 6:32.15
Top BIG EAST Times
Event Women Men
50 Freestyle Kelly Ryan, Notre Dame - 23.17 Brendon Andrews, Louisville - 20.18
100 Freestyle Kelly Ryan, Notre Dame - 49.62 Joao DeLuca, Louisville - 43.16
200 Freestyle Suzanne Bussire, Notre Dame - 1:49.05 Frank Deyer, Notre Dame - 1:35.58
500 Freestyle Rachael Burnett, Notre Dame - 4:46.48 Riley Martin, Louisville - 4:18.16
1650 Freestyle Rachael Burnett, West Virginia - 16:26.24 Riley Martin, Louisville - 15:14.59
100 Backstroke Kelly Ryan, Notre Dame - 53.60 Brendon Andrews, Louisville - 47.30
200 Backstroke Kelly Ryan, Notre Dame - 1:55.66 Pedro Oliveira, Louisville - 1:45.46
100 Breaststroke Gisselle Kohoyda, Louisville - 1:01.00 Carlos Almeida, Louisville - 53.95
200 Breaststroke Gisselle Kohoyda, Louisville - 2:10.64 Carlos Almeida, Louisville - 1:58.47
100 Butterfly Tanja Kylliainen, Louisville - 53.87 Taylor Camp, West Virginia - 47.65
200 Butterfly Tanja Kylliainen, Louisville - 1:57.28 Pedro Oliveira, Louisville - 1:47.01
200 IM Emma Reaney, Notre Dame - 1:57.67 Alex Burtch, Louisville - 1:49.48
400 IM Tanja Kylliainen, Louisville - 4:10.92 Carlos Almeida, Louisville - 3:55.79
200 Freestyle Relay Louisville - 1:32.27 Louisville - 1:19.63
400 Freestyle Relay Notre Dame - 3:20.93 Louisville - 2:57.78
800 Freestyle Relay Louisville - 7:20.45 Louisville - 6:32.15
200 Medley Relay Louisville - 1:39.91 Louisville - 1:28.04 400 Medley Relay Notre Dame - 3:39.59 Louisville - 3:14.94