Feb. 11, 2014
NEW YORK, N.Y. – Providence junior John Fatigati was named the BIG EAST Men’s Swimming and Diving Athlete of the Week on Tuesday after picking up a pair of individual victories and one runner-up showing in the Friars’ meet with Georgetown on Feb. 8. It’s the final set of swimming and diving honors for the 2013-14 campaign.
BIG EAST Men’s Swimming and Diving Athlete of the Week
JOHN FATIGATI, PROVIDENCE Jr., Mahwah, N.J.
Fatigati won the 200-yard backstroke and the 200 IM on Saturday as Providence wrapped up its regular-season competition in a dual meet against Georgetown. The junior won the 200 back in 1:55.79 and took the 200 IM in 1:57.56, winning both races by more than three seconds. He added a silver medal in the 100 back with a time of 53.81, just 12-hundredths of a second off first place. His 200 back time is seventh in the BIG EAST this season.
BIG EAST Notebook
• Georgetown swept the Friars on Saturday in Piscataway, N.J. The men’s score was 173-92, and the women’s competition finished 176.5-101.5 for the Hoyas.
• Georgetown’s Jordan Cooper-Vega was the high scorer from both boards at the meet, taking the one-meter with 258.90 points and the three-meter event with 236.70.
• The Xavier women dropped a 127-74 decision to Ohio on Friday in their regular-season finale. Both Musketeer programs will use this upcoming weekend for final preparations for next week’s BIG EAST Swimming Championships.
• Xavier freshman Heidi Turner took first in the 100 fly in 1:36.51.
• Diving takes center stage at Villanova on Friday and Saturday. Schedule changes are possible due to the forecasted storm on Thursday. If alterations are made, they will be posted as soon as they’re known at BIGEAST.com