Jan. 28, 2014
NEW YORK – The second set of spring BIG EAST Weekly Tennis Awards were doled out on Tuesday, with Georgetown freshman Yannik Mahlangu and Marquette junior Ana Pimienta capturing the Men’s and Women’s Player of the Week citations, respectively.
BIG EAST Men’s Tennis Player of the Week
YANNIK MAHLANGU, GEORGETOWN Fr., Henderson, Nev.
Mahlangu earned a pair of victories over the weekend as the Hoyas emerged from a match with Boston College with a 4-3 victory. He was paired up with fellow freshman and last week’s Men’s Tennis Player of the Week Jack Murphy for a 6-3 win at doubles before taking a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4 to claim one of the Hoyas’ three victories in singles play.
BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Player of the Week
ANA PIMIENTA, MARQUETTE Jr., La Herradura, Mexico
Pimienta posted a 2-0 weekend as the Golden Eagles took a 5-2 victory over Illinois-Chicago in their dual opener of the spring. She rolled to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Mariana Palacios at No. 1 singles and added a 6-2 victory at No. 3 doubles with Vanessa Foltinger.
BIG EAST Notebook
• Georgetown senior Madeline Jaeger went 2-0 in the Hoyas’ 4-3 loss at Navy. She teamed with Kelly Comolli for a 6-2 victory at No. 2 doubles to help give Georgetown the early lead. She also posted a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4 singles to bring the Hoyas within 3-2 in the match.
• Marquette swept the three doubles matches and collected wins at the top four singles flights in the 5-2 win over Illinois-Chicago.
• Butler’s Sam O’Neill won a 6-2, 6-5 (5) decision at No. 2 singles as the Bulldog men defeated Youngstown State 5-2 last week to even their spring dual record at 1-1. He also teamed with Brandon Woods to post a 6-2 win at No. 1 doubles.
• St. John’s opened the spring with a 4-3 win over William & Mary. Sophomore Vadik Munshaw posted a 6-5 (1), 5-6 (2), 6-4 win at No. 6 singles to clinch the win for the Red Storm. It was Munshaw’s first collegiate victory.
• The upcoming weekend is the busiest of the spring so far with 27 matches on the slate.