Feb. 4, 2014
NEW YORK, N.Y. – Xavier senior Mesa Mei and DePaul junior Patricia Fargas were named the BIG EAST Men’s and Women’s Tennis Players of the Week, respectively, on Tuesday. Mei helped the Musketeers pick up their first victories of the spring season last weekend, while Fargas was instrumental in the Blue Demons’ three wins, two of which came against ranked opponents.
BIG EAST Men’s Tennis Player of the Week
MESA MEI, XAVIER Sr., Somerville, Mass.
Mei posted a perfect 3-0 singles mark and finished 5-1 for the weekend including doubles play. He helped the Musketeers snap a three-match skid with a 7-0 win over Bryant on Saturday before ending the weekend with a narrow 4-3 victory against Binghamton. Mei defeated Bryant’s Juan Gonzalez-Pazziale 6-5 (5), 6-2 at No. 1 singles and logged a pair of victories from the No. 2 position, 6-1, 6-4 over Brown’s Brandon Burke and 6-3, 6-4 against Binghamton’s Ismael Dinia. Both of Mei’s doubles wins were at the No. 1 flight, as he claimed a 6-4 victory in the Bryant match with Zach Mueck and a 6-3 win with Jimmy Roebker against Binghamton.
BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Player of the Week
BIG EAST Notebook
PATRICIA FARGAS, DePAUL Jr., Barcelona, Spain
Fargas went a combined 5-0 last weekend, helping the Blue Demons capture a 4-0 victory over No. 25 TCU on Friday and a 6-1 triumph over 65th-ranked Louisville on Saturday before Sunday’s sweet of Illinois-Chicago. All of her victories came at the top position. She teamed with Ana Vladutu for a 6-3 doubles win against the Horned Frogs on Friday and added a 6-3 victory on Saturday in the win over Louisville. She and Vladutu wrapped up a 3-0 weekend with a 6-0 win on Sunday versus UIC. In singles action, Fargas won 6-4, 6-4 over Louisville’s Julia Fellerhoff and 6-4, 6-2 against UIC’s Natalia Kuvakina.
• The DePaul women were ranked No. 74 in last week’s ITA rankings and should move up the ladder following the weekend victories over a pair of top-65 teams.
• Xavier’s Cristina Di Lorenzo logged a 3-6, 6-3, 10-3 victory over Brittney Reed at No. 3 singles and helped the Musketeers haul in the double point in Saturday’s 5-2 win over Abilene Christian.
• Creighton welcomed back senior Billy Paluch to dual matches last weekend. After Paluch missed all but one dual in 2013, the senior went 2-0 in Friday’s 4-3 win over UMKC. He teamed with freshman Jake Norman at No. 1 doubles for a 6-2 win and later won 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1 singles over Tomas Patino to help the Bluejays secure the win.
• St. John’s freshman Freddy Ruiz Acevado rallied from down a set for a 5-6, 6-3, 6-2 win over Adam Reinhart at No. 5 singles, giving the Red Storm a thrilling 4-3 win over BIG EAST foe DePaul on Friday at Flushing Meadows.
• The Hoya men yielded the doubles point but swept all six singles matches for a 6-1 victory over George Mason on Friday.
• The Seton Hall women salvaged a split of their weekend on Sunday with a 4-2 win over Binghamton at West Point, N.Y. On Saturday the Pirates dropped a 5-1 match at Army. Seton Hall plays its next two matches against New Jersey foes, hosting St. Peter’s on Sunday and visiting NJIT next week.
• The Butler men posted a perfect 2-0 week with Friday’s 4-3 win over Dayton and Saturday’s 5-2 triumph over Valparaiso. Alex Woldmoe rallied from down a set for the victory at No. 6 singles to give the Bulldogs the match against the Flyers.