Feb. 18, 2014
NEW YORK, N.Y. – DePaul and Xavier collected the two BIG EAST Weekly Tennis Awards on Tuesday, with senior Musketeer Jimmy Roebker picking up the men’s honor and Blue Demon sophomore Zaina Sufi garnering the women’s citation.
BIG EAST Men’s Tennis Player of the Week
JIMMY ROEBKER, XAVIER Sr., Fort Mitchell, Ky.
Roebker combined for a 4-0 record over the weekend, 2-0 in singles and 2-0 in doubles, to help the Musketeers posted a 2-0 team mark. He defeated Pierre Brondeau of Saint Joseph’s 6-5, 6-1 at No. 2 singles and Temple’s Hernan Vasconez 6-5, 6-2 at the top flight. He and Mesa Mei logged a pair of 6-2 victories at No. 1 doubles.
BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Player of the Week
ZAINA SUFI, DePAUL So., Tucson, Ariz.
Sufi posted a 6-0 record across singles and doubles play as the Blue Demons won three matches in impressive fashion. The 53rd-ranked Blue Demons improved to 9-1 with victories over South Dakota State, Milwaukee and Michigan State. She won 6-0, 6-1 at No. 4 singles against South Dakota State, 6-3, 6-2 at No. 5 versus Milwaukee and 6-3, 6-1 at No. 5 against Michigan State. Sufi also teamed with two different partners to go 3-0 in doubles at the third flight.
BIG EAST Notebook
• St. John’s Anna Morozova went 4-0 in two Red Storm wins against LIU Brooklyn and Connecticut. She’s improved to 5-1 in singles, all at No. 3, and 4-1 in doubles.
• Alex Brinker won a 7-5, 6-4 decision at No. 1 singles against Saint Joseph’s and a 6-0, 6-3 final at No. 2 on Saturday against Temple. The Xavier women went 2-0.
• Rocio Diaz was the only Marquette tennis player to win two singles matches in her team’s doubleheader on Saturday. She won at No. 6 7-5, 4-6, 12-10 against Iowa and 6-0, 6-0 at No. 3 singles versus Western Illinois. She went 1-1 in doubles.
• Butler freshman Alex Woldmoe improved to 4-1 at No. 6 singles with two wins last week against Indianapolis and ASA.
• A total of 28 matches are set for the next week.