Feb. 25, 2014
NEW YORK, N.Y. – The Marquette men and DePaul women were both impressive in victories last week, and each had a student-athlete recognized with a weekly award from the BIG EAST. Marquette’s Dan Mamalat was named the Men’s Tennis Player of the Week, while Jasmin Kling of DePaul was honored on the women’s side.
BIG EAST Men’s Tennis Player of the Week
DAN MAMALAT, MARQUETTE Sr., Philadelphia, Pa.
Mamalat went 6-0 in three matches over two days to pick up his second BIG EAST weekly honor of the spring. He highlighted his weekend by picking up the match-clinching victory via third-set tiebreaker at No. 1 singles in a 4-3 victory over No. 54 Denver. Mamalat teamed with Vukasin Teofanovic at No. 1 doubles to post an 8-4 win over the 32nd-ranked tandem of Henry Craig and Diogo Rocha. Later in the weekend Mamalat picked up wins at No. 2 singles and the top doubles flight in victories over Bradley and South Dakota State.
BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Player of the Week
JASMIN KLING, DePAUL Jr., Heilbronn, Germany
Kling posted a perfect 6-0 record across singles and doubles play in three matches last weekend. DePaul, ranked No. 45 in the ITA rankings entering the matches, improved to 12-1 with wins over BIG EAST foes Georgetown and Seton Hall along with a non-conference triumph versus Navy. Kling went 3-0 in doubles with Kelsey Lawson, including a pair of 8-0 shutouts against the Pirates and Midshipmen. In addition, Kling won all three of her singles matches in straight sets, including a 6-2, 6-2 victory against Hoya Sophia Barnard at No. 3, and a 7-6, 6-4 final against Seton Hall’s Hannah Liljekvist. The Blue Demons are 12-1 on the season while Kling is riding a personal 10-match win streak in singles since starting the season with a loss.
BIG EAST Notebook
• The DePaul women continue to head north in the ITA rankings. The Blue Demons are No. 37 in the latest ITA rankings out Tuesday. Ana Vladutu is ranked No. 94 in the singles list, while she and Kling come in at No. 41 in the doubles rankings.
• Xavier’s Alex Brinker went 3-0 at No. 1 singles, including a 6-4, 6-2 win over Butler’s Stephani McLoughlin to give the Musketeers their first BIG EAST victory. Xavier also defeated Bowling Green and IUPUI last week.
• The Marquette men debuted in the ITA rankings at No. 59 this week. It's their highest ranking in school history.
• The Georgetown men improved to 5-3 with a 5-2 win over Davidson. Daniel Khanin posted a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 1 for the Hoyas.
• Victoire Saperstein went a combined 2-1 in singles and doubles for Georgetown last week. She posted one win each at the top singles and doubles flight.
• The Creighton men swept Omaha 7-0 in their only action last week.
• Xavier’s Adam Krull posted a 2-1 record last week, including a 7-6 (2), 4-6, 10-3 win over Gijs Linders of Michigan State.
• The Butler and Marquette men are both in action on Wednesday. The Bulldogs host Wright State and the Golden Eagles travel to Wisconsin.
• St. John’s and Villanova are scheduled for the Pacific Coast Men’s Doubles Championship in San Diego, Calif., this weekend.
• Several teams have trips coming up to warmer climates to coincide with spring break. Destinations for teams include Florida, Texas and California.