March 4, 2014
NEW YORK, N.Y. – The DePaul women ran their win streak to 13 with two wins last week, and sophomore Ana Vladutu was in the middle of the success. The sophomore was named BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Player of the Week after logging an unblemished record in four matches to aid in the Blue Demons’ 2-0 week.
BIG EAST Women’s Tennis Player of the Week
ANA VLADUTU, DePAUL So., Craiova, Romania
Vladutu posted a perfect 4-0 record across singles and doubles competition over the weekend to help the Blue Demons extend their win streak to 13 straight matches. On Saturday, Vladutu’s victory over Wisconsin’s Lauren Burich, 6-2, 6-4, clinched a 4-3 win over the Badgers. On Friday Vladutu picked up a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 2 singles over Northern Illinois’ Haley Dekkinga in a 7-0 team victory. The sophomore teamed with Patricia Fargas for two wins at the top doubles flight, 8-1 against Northern Illinois and 8-3 versus the Badgers.
BIG EAST Notebook
• The DePaul women remain in the ITA’s top 50 rankings this week. In Tuesday’s release, the Blue Demons sit at No. 41 and dropped four spots despite winning both of its matches last week, 7-0 over Northern Illinois and 4-3 versus Wisconsin.
• The Blue Demons (14-1) have won 13 straight and put that streak on the line this week against BIG EAST foe Butler on Friday and No. 53 Indiana on Saturday.
• Marquette sits at No. 72 a week after reaching a program-record 59th in last week’s ITA rankings. The Golden Eagles dropped a 4-1 final to No. 49 Wisconsin last week.
• The St. John’s men placed a pair of doubles tandems in the quarterfinals of the Pacific Coast Championships last week. The pairs were Erick Reyes and R.J. Del Nunzio, ranked 54th in the ITA rankings last week, and Gary Kushnirovich and grad assistant Gustavo Loza.
• The Red Storm picked up a 4-3 win over Rice on Monday in San Diego, Calif.
• The St. John’s women and both Xavier squads are scheduled for action on Tuesday as teams continue with their road trips during their Spring breaks.
• There is at least one BIG EAST team scheduled for a match through March 16.