Tampa, Fla. - The No. 8 seed Villanova men's tennis team earned a first-round victory in the BIG EAST Tennis Championship by defeating No. 9 seed Connecticut 4-1 on Thursday. The Wildcats will move on to play No. 1 seed Notre Dame on Friday at 9 a.m. at the P.E. Courts.
After splitting the first two doubles matches, Villanova freshmen Tim Abbracciamento and Michael Rosengren teamed up for an 8-5 victory over UConn senior Scott Warden and freshman Jacob Spreyer to capture the doubles point for the Wildcats.
In singles action, sophomore Thomas O'Brien came from behind after dropping the first set to clinch the match for Villanova, beating UConn's Warden 1-6, 6-3, 7-5. Matt Colonnese and Mark Miller also earned victories for VU. Senior Dave Adams secured the only point for Connecticut.
Villanova will advance to play No. 1 seed Notre Dame on Friday at 9 a.m. at the P.E. Courts.
Results from all BIG EAST Tennis Championship action can be found at the BIG EAST Championship Central page.
- Thomas O'Brien (VU) def. Scott Warden (UConn) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5*
- Matt Colonnese (VU) def. Jacob Spreyer (UConn) 6-4, 0-6, 7-5
- Dave Adams (UConn) def. Ryan Peyton (VU) 6-3, 6-2
- Michael Rosengran (VU) vs. Wei Lin (UConn) 7-6, 6-5, DNF
- Ryan Carr (UConn) vs. Tim Abbracciamento (VU) 7-6, 3-6, 0-4, DNF
- Mark Miller (VU) def. Teddy Margules (UConn) 6-3, 6-3
- Thomas O'Brien/Kelly Donaldson (VU) def. Scott Warden/Jacob Spreyer (UConn) 8-5
- Tim Abbracciamento/Michael Rosengren (VU) def. Dave Adams/Wei Lin (UConn) 8-6*
- Ryan Carr/Matt Burns (UConn) def. Kyle Gradin/Mark Miller (VU) 8-5