Sep 4, 2013
2013 Badger Opener
Notes/Performance List (PDF)
Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course
Friday, Sept. 6
MILWAUKEE - The Marquette University men's and women's cross country squads will travel to the University of Wisconsin on Friday, Sept. 6 for the 2013 Badger Season Opener at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course in Verona, Wis.
The men's six-kilometer race is slated to begin at 5 p.m, with the women's four-kilometer meet to follow at 5:30 p.m.
"We are very excited to get the 2013 Marquette cross country season underway,” head coach Mike Nelson said of the meet. “The athletes have done an excellent job with their training and are hungry to race. This meet will be an excellent opportunity to view the NCAA regional course."
The meet marks the first competition since the Golden Eagles last suited up at the Zimmer Course for the 2012 NCAA Great Lakes Regional on Nov. 9 of last season. The Marquette men placed 15th in that meet, while the women were 16th overall.
In 2011, the last time Marquette competed in the Badger Season Opener, the men claimed the meet title and the women placed second. Blake Johnson and Peter Bolgert paced the men's squad en route to their first-place finish, while Sarah Ball and Kenzie Vicker both put forth top-10 finishes for the women's squad.
Marquette will return to the Thomas Zimmer Championship Course later this season to compete in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional on Friday, Nov. 15.
Men’s student-athletes competing (15): Spencer Agnew, Patrick Campbell, Michael Corr, Marc DiVerde, Max Edwards, Nate Gomoll, Cody Haberkorn, Ryan Kaestner, Blake Lawson, David Sajdak, Ben Schmitz, Jack Senefeld, Ryan Shields, Andres Tineo-Paz, Christian Zambrano
Men’s teams competing (6): DePaul, Edgewood, Green Bay, Loyola-Chicago, Marquette, Wisconsin
Women’s student-athletes competing (13): Sarah Ball, Abigail Busse, Alison Parker, Brittney Feivor, Mariah Frank, Hannah Frett, Kellie Greenwood, Haley Loprieno, Grace Magliola, Maggie O'Loughlin, Rebecca Pachuta, Sarah Poirier, Kayla Spencer
Women’s teams competing (7): DePaul, Edgewood, Green Bay, Loyola-Chicago, Marquette, Northwestern, Wisconsin
LAST TIME OUT: The Marquette University men's cross country team earned a 15th-place finish at the 2012 NCAA Great Lakes Regional Championships, while the women placed 16th, on Friday, Nov. 9 at the Thomas Zimmer Championship Cross Country Course in Verona, Wis.
• The Golden Eagles will host the 2013 BIG EAST Conference Cross Country Championships in Somers, Wis., at the Wayne E. Dannehl National Cross Country Course on Saturday, Nov. 2. It marks the first time MU has hosted the cross country championships since doing so at the same course in 2009.
• The MU men are ranked 15th in the USTFCCCA Great Lakes Region, while the women are unranked.
• Head coach Mike Nelson is in his seventh season with the Golden Eagles in 2013.
• Redshirt senior Jack Senefeld is the only returning student-athlete to have run in the last three conference championships and has also run in a pair of NCAA Great Lakes Regional meets.
• Senior Hannah Frett leads the MU women with two appearances in both the BIG EAST and regional championships.
UP NEXT: The Golden Eagles will have a week off from competition before returning to action at the National Catholic Championships in Notre Dame, Ind., on Friday, Sept. 20.