PROVIDENCE, R.I.- Connecticut's Emily Durgin and Ryan McGuire earned BIG EAST Cross Country Athlete of the Week honors after posting top individual finishes for the Huskies at the New England Championships.
Durgin finished 25th of 251 runners with a time of 18:00.26 on the 5k course at Stanley Park in Westfield, Mass. The freshman led the Huskies to a 19th-place finish of 37 teams. The field at New England Championships included No. 21 Boston College and RV Dartmouth.
McGuire finished 17th of 261 runners with a time of 24:48.15 on the 8k course at New England Championships. The junior led the Connecticut men to a 10th-place finish of 37 teams. The men's field included RV Dartmouth.
Notes From Around the League:
BIG EAST Competes at Metropolitan Championships
- Rutgers, Seton Hall and St. John's ran at the Metropolitan Championships at Van Cortlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y.
- On the women's side, Rutgers had four runners finish in the top 15 individually on the 5k course, including junior Ashley Deckert (19:07.03), junior Briana Deming (19:12.85), sophomore Allison Payenski (19:15.42) and senior Jennifer Spitzer (19:20.75). The Scarlet Knights finished second.
- St. John's freshman Chelsea Trant finished 30th overall and first for the Red Storm
- Seton Hall senior Hughnique Rolle finished 28th overall and first for the Pirates
- On the men's side, Rutgers placed sixth, led by sophomore Chris Banafato (26:50.56) and freshman Chris Defabio (26:57.03), finishing 12th and 15th respectively on the 8k course.
- Seton Hall finished ninth of 12 teams at the Metropolitan Championships
BIG EAST Cross Country Championships
- The 2012 BIG EAST Cross Country Championships are less than three weeks away. St. John's will be hosting the event at Van Cordlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y., on Oct. 26.
- The women's 6k race will begin at 11 a.m. ET, with the men's 8k following at 11:50 a.m. ET.
- Visit the Cross Country Championship Central page for all information leading up to the races.