PROVIDENCE, R.I.- Notre Dame's Jeremy Rae and Providence's Sarah Mary Collins earned BIG EAST Cross Country Athlete of the Week honors after running impressive times at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational in Madison, Wis.
Collins finished sixth in the field of 327, and second among freshman, on the 6K Thomas Zimmer Cross Country Course. Her time of 19:50 also helped the Friars to a sixth-place team finish in a field featuring many ranked teams. This is the second BIG EAST Cross Country Women's Athlete of the Week honor for the freshman.
Rae ran to a 14th-place finish at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational out of 316 competitors. The senior finished with a time of 23:40 on the 8K course in Madison, Wis. No. 20 Notre Dame finished 26th in a field featuring 21 nationally-ranked programs. Rae was tabbed BIG EAST Cross Country Men's Athlete of the Week for the second time this season.
Notes From Around the League:
BIG EAST Competes at Wisconsin Adidas Invitational
- Connecticut, Notre Dame, Providence and Syracuse all made appearances at the 2012 Wisconsin Adidas Invitational in Madison Wis.
- Providence led the BIG EAST women's field with a sixth-place team finish. Notre Dame finished 12th, Connecticut finished 15th and Syracuse ran to 24th place.
- On the men's side, Syracuse finished 11th and Notre Dame took 26th place.
BIG EAST Finishes Strong at Pre-National Invitational
- Cincinnati, Georgetown, Louisville and Villanova were all represented at the Pre-National Invitational in Louisville, Ky.
- For the women, Villanova junior Emily Lipari took seventh out of 265 competitors, her time of 20:06.9 helped the Wildcats to a seventh place team finish on the 6K course.
- Annamarie Maag was the top-finisher for Georgetown in 22nd (20:32.2) to help the Hoyas to place fourth.
- On the men's side, Ernest Kibet helped Louisville to 12th place after finishing 18th individually (23:45.7) on the 8K course.
- Villanova finished 8th and Georgetown finished in 9th place.
BIG EAST Cross Country Championships
- The 2012 BIG EAST Cross Country Championships are less than two weeks away. St. John's will be hosting the event at Van Cordlandt Park in Bronx, N.Y., on Oct. 26.
- The women's 6K race will begin at 11 a.m. ET, with the men's 8K following at 11:50 a.m. ET.
- Visit the Cross Country Championship Central page for all information leading up to the races.