Oct. 16, 2013
2013 Bradley "Pink" Classic
Marquette Notes (PDF)
Newman Golf Course
MILWAUKEE - The Marquette University men’s and women’s cross county teams will head to Peoria, Ill., on Friday, Oct. 18 to take part in the Bradley “Pink” Classic at Newman Golf Course.
“The Bradley Classic is always a great tune-up for the BIG EAST Conference Championships,” Marquette head coach Mike Nelson said. “This will be our last race before the conference meet and it will be the first time the women race 6k as opposed to 5k. I’m really looking forward to seeing how they handle that extra kilometer. If their workouts are any indication, I think they are more than ready for the challenge.
“We’ll be back at full strength on the men’s side and I’m seeing continual progress with that group. Guys are getting healthy and rounding into form. Our best races are in front of us and we’re excited about competing in Peoria.”
The meet will feature a Bradley Classic-record 75 squads and 859 student-athletes.
The men’s 8,000-meter open race is slated to begin at 3 p.m., while the women’s 6,000-meter open race kicks off at 3:40 p.m. The men’s 8,000-meter championship begins at 4:25 p.m., and the women’s 6,000-meter championship starts at 5:05 p.m.
All student-athletes running on Friday will wear pink jerseys provided by Bradley University in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
The Newman Golf Course has hosted many Missouri Valley Championships, as well as NCAA Midwest Regional Championships.
Men’s student-athletes competing (16):
Championship: Jack Senefeld, Spencer Agnew, Andres Tineo-Paz, Blake Lawson, Cody Haeberkorn, David Sajdak, William Hennessy, Patrick Campbell, Michael Corr, Ben Schmitz, Ryan Kaestner, Christian Zambrano.
Open: Max Edwards, Marc DiVerde, Nate Gomoll, Ryan Shields.
Women’s student-athletes competing (14):
Championship: Kellie Greenwood, Brittney Feivor, Elisia Meyle, Kayla Spencer, Rebecca Pachuta, Alison Parker, Hannah Frett, Maggie O’Loughlin, Sarah Ball, Sarah Poirier, Grace Magliola.
Open: Abby Busse, Haley Loprieno, Kenzie Vicker.
LAST TIME OUT: The Marquette University women’s cross country team placed second on Saturday, Oct. 12 at the Lucian Rosa Invitational in Somers, Wis., at the Wayne E. Dannehl National Cross Country Course, while the men were sixth overall and first among NCAA Division I squads. Sophomore Kellie Greenwood paced the women for the fourth time in 2013 with a sixth-place finish in 17:59.6. Redshirt seniors Jacke Senefeld, first among NCAA Division I runners, and Spencer Agnew led the men with times of 24:40.5 and 25:41.7, respectively.
• The Golden Eagles will host the 2013 BIG EAST Conference Cross Country Championships in Somers, Wis., at the Wayne E. Dannehl National Cross Country Course on Saturday, Nov. 2. It marks the first time MU has hosted the cross country championships since doing so at the same course in 2009.
• Sophomore Kellie Greenwood has led the Marquette women at all four meets in 2013, while the men redshirt senior Jack Senefeld has led the men at the last three meets.
• Head coach Mike Nelson is in his seventh season with the Golden Eagles in 2013.
• Redshirt senior Jack Senefeld is the only returning student-athlete to have run in the last three conference championships and has also run in a pair of NCAA Great Lakes Regional meets.
• Senior Hannah Frett leads the MU women with two appearances in both the BIG EAST and regional championships.
UP NEXT: The Golden Eagles will run at the BIG EAST Cross Country Championships, which they will host on Saturday, Nov. 2 at the Wayne E. Dannehl National Cross Country Course in Somers, Wis.