Jan. 19, 2013
ROSEMONT, Ill. - Jamee Crockett led DePaul with 19 points as the Blue Demons pulled to within three late in the game, but St. John's held off the DePaul in a 71-62 BIG EAST game at Allstate Arena. Cleveland Melvin added 16 points for the Blue Demons.
A back-and-forth first highlighted by a pair of spectacular dunks from Jamee Crockett ended with St. John's holding a two-point advantage. St. John's led by as many as six points and the opening period featured four ties over the last four minutes.
St. John's built a 17-point advantage with 7:36 left before DePaul closed to within three points on back-to-back three-pointers from Jamee Crockett and Moses Morgan with 2:24 left. However that was as close as DePaul would get over the remainder of the game.
- DePaul drops to 10-8 overall and 1-4 in the BIG EAST... St. John's improves to 11-7 and 3-3.
- St. John's leads the all-time series by a 16-14 margin... the Red Storm has won seven straight games in the series.
- A three-pointer by Moses Morgan in the first half extended DePaul's streak to 597 straight games with a three.
- Brandon Young set a new career high in rebounds with nine boards... previous career best was six rebounds on four occasions.
- Cleveland Melvin moved into 24th place on DePaul's all-time scoring list... he entered the game needing six points to pass Joey Meyer (1968-71, 1,233 pts.).