Nov. 30, 2012
AUBURN, Ala. (AP) – Cleveland Melvin scored 21 points and made a steal and two free throws late to lift DePaul to an 80-76 victory over Auburn Friday night in the SEC/Big East Challenge.
Melvin swiped a pass from Rob Chubb as the Tigers tried to set up for at least a tying basket. He drove for a layup with 13 seconds left but was fouled by Noel Johnson and put the game away for the Blue Demons (4-3). Brandon Young scored 19 points and had five assists for DePaul, which has won two straight games.
Melvin made 9-of-13 free throw attempts and had 10 rebounds to follow up a 30-point game against Fairfield. Worrel Clahar hit two second-half 3-pointers and had 11 points.
Frankie Sullivan scored a career-high 28 points for Auburn (2-5), which has lost four in a row. Chubb had 17 points and 13 rebounds.
- DePaul is now 1-2 all-time in the annual event between the BIG EAST and SEC... the win snapped an eight-game losing streak against SEC programs... Friday was the first meeting between DePaul and Auburn.
- The Blue Demons are 13-3 under Oliver Purnell when scoring 80 or more points.
- Cleveland Melvin posted his second double-double of the season (ninth career)... it is his second double-double in the last three games... Melvin has reached double-figures in 21 consecutive games.
- Melvin’s 21 points move him into a tie for 43rd on DePaul’s all-time scoring list with Gene Stump (1943-47)... Melvin has 1,071 career points.
- Brandon Young passed Mike Gillespie (1971-74) for 51st place... Young has 960 points... he needs 40 points to become the 48th player in program history with 1,000 career points... Young’s streak of games in double-figures was extended to 11 games.
- Young has attempted at least four free throws in six straight games.