May 9, 2014
NCAA Interactive Bracket | Printable Bracket
NEW YORK – 2014 BIG EAST Men’s Lacrosse Champion Denver (14-2) will host ACC at-large selection North Carolina (10-4) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Saturday at 7:30 p.m. Eastern at Peter Barton Lacrosse Stadium, with the game airing live on ESPNU.
The Pioneers, seeded fifth in the NCAA bracket, are coming off back-to-back 14-7 victories in the BIG EAST Tournament when they defeated fourth-seeded Rutgers in the semifinals and No. 3 seed Villanova in the championship last Thursday and Saturday. Denver was the BIG EAST's No. 1 seed in its first season in the conference after posting a 6-0 league record.
BIG EAST NCAA Tournament Quick Notes
• UNC owns an 8-3 series lead, but Denver has won the last two meetings, both in the NCAA Tournament. Last year the Pioneers rallied for a 12-11 come-from-behind victory in the NCAA Quarterfinals.
• The Pios are ranked second in both the USILA coaches and Warrior Inside Lacrosse media polls, while the Tar Heels are No. 9 in each.
• Denver junior attack Wesley Berg leads the team with 41 goals and 58 points. He was named BIG EAST Tournament Most Outstanding Player after scoring eight goals and 10 points in the two games last week at Villanova.
• Denver coach Bill Tierney is 9-3 in NCAA First Round games, and has guided the Pioneers to the NCAA Semifinals twice in the last three seasons.
• Denver has won 11 straight, its longest win streak since 2011 (12).
• The Denver-UNC winner will take on either No. 4 seed Penn or Drexel on Sunday, May 18 at Delaware Stadium in Newark, Del. Game time will be either noon or 2:30 p.m. Eastern.
• A BIG EAST team has won an NCAA first round game every spring since the conference began sponsoring the sport in 2010.
• BIG EAST teams are 11-9 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and 6-2 in the first round.