May 17, 2014
NCAA Interactive Bracket | Printable Bracket | BIG EAST Statistics
NEW YORK – It’s already been a banner season for Denver men’s lacrosse in its first BIG EAST campaign. Now the No. 5 seed Pioneers look to extend their season in the NCAA Tournament when they meet Drexel in Newark, Del., Sunday at 2:30 p.m. Eastern on ESPNU. The winner will move on to the NCAA Semifinals next weekend in Baltimore, Md.
Denver is no stranger to the national semifinal round. A win Sunday would send it that far for the third time in four years.
BIG EAST NCAA Tournament Notebook
• Denver (15-2) has won 12 straight games entering Sunday’s matchup with Drexel (13-2). The Dragons enter the game after a 16-11 victory over No. 4 seed Penn in last week’s NCAA first round.
• The Pioneers’ 9-5 victory over North Carolina last week was their third straight in the NCAA Tournament against the Tar Heels.
• Wesley Berg and Jack Bobzien share the team lead with 60 points. Berg has a team-high 42 goals, while Bobzien sits with 39.
• Jeremy Noble, the BIG EAST Midfielder of the Year, leads the Pios with 31 assists and is fifth on the team with 43 points.
• Denver’s 12-game win streak is its longest since another 12-game run in 2011.
• BIG EAST teams have won an NCAA first round game each season since the conference began sponsoring the sport in 2010. BIG EAST squads are now 12-9 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and own a 3-3 mark in the quarterfinals.
• The Denver-Drexel winner will battle either No. 1 seed Duke or Johns Hopkins in the semifinals next Saturday, May 24 at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. The Pioneers fell to the Blue Devils 14-10 in Durham, N.C., Feb. 15.