BRISTOL, Conn. (May 24, 2011) - The 2011 Jimmy V Women's and Men's Basketball Classics will both be held on Tuesday, Dec. 6 marking the first time the two events benefiting cancer research have been played on the same night.
The 10th annual women's Classic will pit NCAA National Champion Texas A&M at defending BIG EAST champion Connecticut at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2.
The 17th annual men's doubleheader, held at New York City's famed Madison Square Garden for the ninth consecutive event, will pit Missouri vs. Villanova at 7 p.m. and Washington vs. Marquette at 9 p.m., both on ESPN.
Once again, the two early-season college basketball events that showcase top programs on ESPN and ESPN2 will conclude the fifth annual Jimmy V Week, a weeklong initiative Nov. 30 to Dec. 6 across multiple ESPN platforms and programs featuring special content to help raise funds for cancer research.
Tickets for the Jimmy V Men's Basketball Classic will go on sale in the fall via Ticketmaster and at the Madison Square Garden Box Office.
Tickets for the Jimmy V Women's Basketball Classic will be available at the Connecticut ticket office.
10th Annual Jimmy V Women's Basketball Classic
· Defending BIG EAST champion Connecticut, coming off a Final Four appearance in the 2011 NCAA Tournament, will host defending National Champion Texas A&M (Tuesday, Dec. 6, at 7 p.m. on ESPN2).
· The contest will be the first between the two programs.
· Texas A&M will make its second consecutive Jimmy V Classic appearance after its event debut last year while Connecticut will play in its fourth, but first since 2005.
17th Annual Jimmy V Men's Basketball Classic
Highlights of the event showcasing four of the nation's elite programs Tuesday, Dec. 6 on ESPN (Missouri vs. Villanova at 7 p.m. followed by Washington vs. Marquette at 9 p.m.):
· Missouri, Washington and Marquette will make their Jimmy V Classic debut. Villanova played in the 2008 event against Texas.
· All four programs participated in the 2011 NCAA Tournament: Marquette reached the Sweet 16, Washington the third round, and Missouri and Villanova the second round.
· Missouri and Villanova will meet for the second time ever. The only previous meeting was a 72-53 Missouri victory in the 1985 Rainbow Classic.
· Marquette is 2-1 all-time against Washington but lost its most recent game to the Huskies, 80-78 in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Tournament.
Jimmy V Men's Basketball Classic Dinner Oct. 13
ESPN analysts Bill Raftery and Dereck Whittenburg, along with St. John's men's basketball coach and former ESPN analyst Steve Lavin, will serve as honorary chairmen of the 17th Jimmy V Basketball Classic Dinner Auction Thursday, Oct. 13. The head coaches for all six Classic teams are expected to appear at the event, held at New York's Chelsea Piers' PIER SIXTY and presented by ESPN, Madison Square Garden, and The V Foundation. Proceeds from the dinner and auction will benefit The V Foundation to fund cancer research. For additional information or to reserve tickets call The V Foundation at 1-800-4JimmyV or log on to www.jimmyv.org.
The V Foundation
The V Foundation for Cancer Research was founded in 1993 by ESPN and the late Jim Valvano, legendary North Carolina State basketball coach and ESPN commentator. Since 1993, The Foundation has raised more than $100 million to fund cancer research grants nationwide. It awards 100 percent of all direct cash donations and net proceeds of events directly to cancer research and related programs. Administrative and fundraising expenses are paid by the Foundation's endowment. The Foundation awards grants through a competitive awards process strictly supervised by a Scientific Advisory Board. For more information on The V Foundation or to make a donation, please visit