No. 2 UCONN Defeats Georgetown, 5-0

Emily Weinberg.

Emily Weinberg.

Oct. 18, 2013

WASHINGTON – Georgetown’s field hockey team (2-12, BIG EAST 0-5) lost Friday afternoon’s BIG EAST matchup, 5-0, to the No. 2 Connecticut Huskies (13-1, BIG EAST 5-0) at the University of Maryland’s Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex. 

The Huskies scored two goals in the first half, while managing to control the pace for the majority of the game.  Georgetown was only able to take one shot on goal which came off the stick of sophomore midfielder Emily Weinberg (Shaker Heights, Ohio/Hathaway Brown) 7:28 into the second half.

Both of Connecticut’s first half goals occurred after initial saves by Georgetown goal keeper Rosalie Nolen (West Chester, Pa./Reed Henderson), who had 10 saves on the day. The Hoyas were able to keep the game scoreless against the No. 2 team in the country and a team leading every BIG EAST offensive statistic for a good portion of the first half.

Connecticut’s Mckenzie Townsend, a sophomore midfielder, scored the first goal 18:55 into the game.  Townsend took a shot from the near post which Nolen saved, but Townsend got her own rebound for the goal. Senior forward Anne Juete’s rebound goal, her seventh of the season, came less than eight minutes later. Nolen managed seven saves in the first half while the Hoyas were able to frustrate the Huskies’ offense by not allowing them many shots on goal. UCONN had 17 shot attempts in the opening half but only nine were on goal; most were blocked by Georgetown defenders before they reached the net.

Connecticut’s three second half goals all occurred within six minutes of each other.  The first two goals of the second half came on identical corner plays 5:57 and 9:09 into the half.  Senior forward Marie Elena Bolles, who was named the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week on Mon., Oct. 14, scored both goals.  Junior midfielder Chrissy Davidson received the secondary assist on the each for stopping the ball as it was put into play on the penalty corners. Sophomore midfielder Roisin Upton was credited for the primary assists when she passed both balls from the top of the circle to the near post where Bolles was waiting.



Bolles would complete her hat trick 11:11 into the second half.  Juete, who scored the second goal for UCONN, was credited with the assist.

Connecticut received two green cards, both by junior forward Chole Hunnable, and one five-minute yellow card, to freshman forward Darby Smith. GU’s Weinberg was called for a yellow card with about 10 minutes remaining in regulation.

With only two home games left, the Hoyas looks to get back on track in their Sunday, Oct. 20 meeting against the Liberty Lady Flames (10-4, NorPac 5-0) at 4 p.m at the University of Maryland’s Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex in College Park, Md. Liberty won its most recent game on Thurs., Oct. 17 when they hosted Longwood, 6-1. Sophomore forward Natalie Barr had a hat trick in the win, but took almost half of the team’s 29 shots to accomplish it, while her younger sister, freshman back Serena Barr, notched two goals on four shot attempts.