Week 2 Women's Lacrosse Weekly Awards Announced

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Solid performances by Rutgers senior Marlena Welsh and Connecticut sophomore Mackenzie Rainone have helped them earn BIG EAST women's lacrosse weekly honors. Welsh was named the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week, while Rainone was the BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week. Welsh was tabbed BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week after totaling seven points in a 2-0 week for the Scarlet Knights. In a 11-10 season-opening win at Temple on Feb. 23, she had two goals. In an 11-7 win at Cornell on Feb. 26, Welsh recorded five points, including a game-high four goals. The senior also registered two draw controls and a caused turnover last week. Rainone earns BIG EAST Defensive Player of the Week honors following her efforts in a 2-0 week for the Huskies. The sophomore had six ground balls, five caused turnovers and helped limit opponents to just 10.5 goals. She also scored three goals. In an 11-9 win over Binghamton on Feb. 25, Rainone had three caused turnovers, three ground balls and scored a goal. In a 17-12 win at Quinnipiac on Feb. 27, Rainone tallied three ground balls and two caused turnovers and scored a goal. BIG EAST HONOR ROLL Shaylyn Blaney, Notre Dame, Sr., M Helped the Irish rally in a 12-10 win at Duquesne; had six points, including three goals, along with three caused turnovers and two draw controls Justine Donodeo, Villanova, Jr., M Had five points, including three goals against Boston College Lily Kalata, Rutgers, So., GK Totaled 20 saves and eight ground balls in a 2-0 week; had 11 saves in an 11-7 win at Cornell Megan Sullivan, Notre Dame, Jr., M Had a career-high five ground balls in a 12-10 win at Duquesne; also had three draw controls Katie Webster, Syracuse, Fr., M Registered eight points, including six goals, in a 21-11 loss to then-No. 7/12 Virginia THE INSIDE SCOOP HUSKIES FAST START - Under the direction of first year head coach Katie Woods, UConn is off to a perfect 3-0 start. It is the best start for the team since 2005 when UConn began 4-0.