Ohio State Score Early, Defeats St. John's Women's Soccer 1-0

St. John's loses 1-0 to Ohio State in Bloomington, Ind.

St. John's loses 1-0 to Ohio State in Bloomington, Ind.

Sept. 15, 2013

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - Despite an aggressive second half played by the Red storm, the St. John's women's soccer team lost 1-0 to Ohio State in the final day of the Hoosier Classic on Sunday morning at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

The Buckeyes scored in the 22nd minute, becoming the first team to score first against St. John's (6-0-1).

"We needed a game like today, we needed to know that we are able to compete with the top teams in the country, a team like Ohio State," said head coach Ian Stone. "During the second half today, we showed that we were able to compete, we were as good. The key is to get to that point right away and not get down by a goal before it happens."

Ohio State (6-1-1) was receiving votes in the latest NSCAA Top 25 poll.

Nichelle Prince scored for Ohio State, taking two touches of the ball after receiving the ball from a sideline throw. Prince hit the shot with her left foot and Red Storm keeper Diana Poulin was able to get her finger tips on it but the ball snuck through.

The Red Storm had only six shots in the first period, but came back in the second period with nine.

Poulin (6-0-1) had a strong showing in goal despite the early score by Ohio State. Poulin finished with three saves and allowed just one goal against an offense that was averaging nearly two per game. Through seven games, St. John's has only allowed two goals.

Senior forward Amy Marron had St. John's best chance to score in the 86th minute as she attempted a header in front of the Buckeye goal off a Deanna Murino corner kick. Marron's header attempt was aimed toward the ground, but the Ohio State keeper, Jillian McVicker was able to punch it out of the box cleanly.



Marron played 90 minutes and had three shots, one on goal. Sophomore forward Rachel Daly and junior forward Chelsey Martino also had three shots.

Sophomore Emily Cubbage had a shot on goal in the second minute. Her attempt was saved by the Buckeye's first-period keeper Rachel Middleman.

In addition to Marron and Poulin, three other players played the full 90 minutes, senior Sarah Ashmore, junior Georgia Kearney-Perry and senior Hailey Hemmer. Ashmore was marked on Price, the Buckeye's leading scorer, and limited her to just two shots on goal.

St. John's will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 20, hosting Dartmouth in the final non-conference match of the season. The Red Storm and the Big Green will kick off at 5 p.m.