Women's Soccer Falls 3-2 to Marquette in Double Overtime

Sept. 21, 2013

MILWAUKEE, WIS. -- The Louisville women's soccer team fell 3-2 in double overtime to Marquette at Valley Fields on Saturday night. Louisville battled back from a two goal deficit to send the game into overtime before falling on a penalty kick in the second overtime period. The Cardinals fall to 4-3-1 on the season while Marquette improves to 6-3-0.

Senior Charlyn Corral tested the Golden Eagle's keeper early sending a shot into the goal 26 seconds into the match, but Amanda Engel made the save. Christine Exeter had another shot go just wide in the sixth minute. Marquette had just one shot on goal in the first period, a shot from Carla Jacobson in the 24th minute but Cardinal keeper Paige Brown made the stop.

Both teams traded shots but neither had one on goal. In the 37th minute, Corral had another look for the Cardinals but could not find the back of the net. The first half ended in a scoreless tie.

Marquette broke the scoreless drought when Meagan Kelly headed a service from fellow senior Vanessa Legault-Cordisco for a 1-0 lead in the 53rd minute. The Golden Eagles extended the lead when Jacobson and junior Kate Reigle assisted Mary Luba at the 57:04 mark of the second half. After a scramble in front, Reigle flicked on a feed from Jacobson that found the foot of Luba for a 2-0 lead.

Louisville cut the lead in half when Charlyn Corral caught a rebound and blasted it past Marquette's goalkeeper in the 78th minute and found the back of the net from about 15 feet from the net. The Cardinal offense continued to press, looking for the equalizer. The offensive pressure paid off in the 85th minute when Exeter crossed the ball to Casey Whitfield who sent a long shot from 23 feet outside the box straight into the center of the net, tying the game at 2-2.

In the first overtime period the Cardinals were unable get a shot off, while Marquette had just one shot in the 94th minute that went high. The Louisville offense regrouped in the second overtime period, Corral had a shot go just wide in the first minute.

In the 103rd minute a handball was called inside the box, setting up a penalty kick for Marquette. Kelly sank the ball into the back right corner of the net giving the Golden Eagles the victory in the 104th minute.

The Cardinals held a slight 16-15 shot advantage and also held a 6-5 advantage in shots on goal. Brown finished with two saves while Engel finished with four saves.

Louisville will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 27 as they host Memphis in Cardinal Park for the American Athletic Conference Opener at 7:00 p.m.