Women's Soccer Defeats Cincinnati 5-4 in Overtime

Oct. 25, 2013

Junior Erin Yenney scored on a penalty kick to lift Louisville to a 5-4 win in overtime over Cincinnati at Gettler Stadium on Friday night to wrap up the regular season. Louisville improves to 12-4-1 on the year and 8-1-0 in league play. The Bearcats fall to 8-10-1 overall and 4-4-1 in league play.

"Obviously that was one of the craziest games I have ever been a part of," said head coach Karen Ferguson-Dayes. "I think combined we had four goals in the first 14 minutes. Cincinnati was prepared to play and capitalized off some set goals early. I liked our response, we responded after the scored most every one of their goals within the next two to three minutes. I thought we played great soccer and at the end of the game I felt we had more momentum. Just happy for our team tonight, Cincinnati is a great team and they gave us a great battle."

The Bearcats wasted no time getting on the board early. In the second minute of play Cincinnati was awarded a free kick 18 yards out. Katy Couperus sailed the ball over Cardinal keeper Paige Brown's head to put UC up 1-0. The Cardinals responded two minutes later when Charlyn Corral bent a free kick inside the box and Devyn Ciotti sent the ball to the far post to knot the score at 1-1.

Cincinnati then responded in the 12th minute. Jae Atkinson bent the ball inside the net off a corner kick to put the Bearcats up 2-0. Two minutes later the Louisville responded. Casey Whitfield served the ball down the right side to Christine Exeter. Exeter crossed the ball inside the box for Shannon Dennehey who finds the back of the net, tying the score once again at 2-2.

In the 27th minute, UC's Couperus sent a shot in the net and Brown dives to make the save. Emily Elsbrock took advantage and sent the rebound into the right side of the net to give the Bearcats a 3-2 lead. Cincinnati finished the first half with a 12-5 shot advantage and a 5-1 corner kick advantage. Brown finished with five saves for the Cardinals while UC's Natalie Smith finished with two saves.

The Cardinals made a change in goal for the second half, replacing Brown with Taylor Smith. Just like the previous period, the Bearcats struck first. Six minutes into the second period UC when Atkinson crossed the ball inside the box to Couperus who headed the ball in for a 4-2 lead.

In the 53rd minute of play Corral crosses the ball inside the box to Exeter who blasts a shot past the keeper to get the Cardinals within one goal. Four minutes later Exeter crosses the ball right inside the box thru traffic and Dennehey taps the ball in to tie the score for the third time at 4-4. Neither team could find the back of the net in the final 30 minutes, forcing overtime.

The Cardinals had a chance three minutes into overtime when Whitfield's shot hit the crossbar. Four minutes into the overtime period, UC was called for a foul inside the box, giving the Cardinals a penalty kick. Erin Yenney stepped up and sent the ball to the top right of the net for the game-winner.

Louisville finished the game with a 23-17 shot advantage while UC finished with a 7-2 corner kick advantage. Smith finished with one save while UC's Smith finished with seven saves.

Louisville will host a quarterfinal round of the American Athletic Conference Tournament on Nov. 3. The bracket will be released on Sunday after the conference games conclude.

To become a 2014 founding season ticket holder at Lynn Stadium, call (502) 852-0120 or email tickets@gocards.com for more information.

Fans can follow Louisville women's soccer on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ulwomenssoccer and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/ulwomenssoccer.