Aug 30, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y. -
After earning its first road win of the season on Thursday, the St. John’s women’s soccer squad returns home on Sunday for a debut matchup against the North Dakota State University Bison. The game will be carried live on ESPN3 with a 7 p.m. kick off at Belson Stadium.
Kick Off Quick Facts
• Fans can get access to the game on ESPN3 with play-by-play by Ralph Bednarczyk and analysis by David Gass. Live stats for Sunday’s game will be available through GameTracker on Red StormSports.com. Follow live Twitter updates with @StJohnsWsoccer with the hashtag #SJUWSoc.
• Sunday is the first meeting between St. John’s and North Dakota State University. It is also the first meeting for St. John’s against any opponent in the current Summit League.
• NDSU is 1-2-0 so far this season, with a 3-1 loss at Hofstra on Friday evening. Rookie Lauren Miller scored the lone goal for the Bison.
• With a 1-0 win on Thursday against Massachusetts, St. John’s won its first road game. It was the first time the Red Storm won its road-opener since 2009, St. John’s NCAA Tournament year. Similarly, St. John’s has not started 3-0 since the 2009 season.
• On Monday, St. John’s earned two of the four weekly honors given out by the BIG EAST Conference. Sophomore forward Rachel Daly was named the BIG EAST Offensive Player of the Week and rookie Diana Poulin was tabbed the BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the Week. The following Day, Daly also received BigAppleSoccer.com Women’s College Player of the Week honors.
• Daly has scored four of St. John’s last six goals with her PK against UMass on Thursday.
• 2013 is the 20th season for head coach Ian Stone. During his tenure, Stone has guided St. John’s to a BIG EAST and ECAC Championship, an NCAA Tournament berth, 10 BIG EAST Tournaments and 173 wins.
• Sunday’s game will feature senior goalkeeper Lauren Ferris as the Red Storm’s local Player of the Game. Ferris is from Mt. Sinai, N.Y. and played club ball for the Albertson Fury ’91 squad. Be on the look out for Ferris trivia on Sunday’s game program.
Scouting The Bison
• The Bison are in New York for the weekend as North Dakota State played Hofstra on Friday at 5 p.m. before traveling West on the LIE to St. John’s. The Bison are 1-2-0 coming into Sunday, with a season-opening, 2-0 victory over Belmont (Tenn.) on Aug. 23 and a 4-1 loss to Minnesota on Aug. 25. On Friday, the Bison lost 3-1 at Hofstra with rookie Lauren Miller scoring the lone goal for the Bison. It was Miller’s first goal of the season. Hofstra outshot the Bison 32-11.
• Against Minnesota, sophomore keeper Sierra Bonham set a new career-high for saves in a match with 13, despite the 4-1 loss. Bonham had 12 saves against Hofstra on Friday.
• NDSU was picked fourth in the Summit League preseason poll.
Red Storm vs. Bison - The Series
• Sunday’s meeting is the first between St. John’s and North Dakota State University. It is also the first meeting for St. John’s against any team from the current Summit League (Denver, Fort Wayne, IUPUI, Omaha, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Western Illinois).
Daly’s PK Gives SJU 1-0 Win Over UMass
• Sophomore forward Rachel Daly scored the game-winning penalty kick in the 87th minute against University of Massachusetts on Thursday, Aug. 29. The goal solidified the 1-0 victory of the Red Storm and sophomore Diana Poulin earned her third-straight win, second-straight shutout in goal. Poulin also recorded a career-best four saves.
• With 10 points in three games, Daly’s point-total is already the most since Jen Leaverton’s 22 points (10G, 2A) in the 2011 season.
• St. John’s women’s soccer is off to its best start since 2009 with a 3-0 record to start the season. In 2009, the Red Storm went 3-0 before losing at Princeton, 2-1 on Sept. 6.
• The Red Storm also went 3-0 to start the 2008 season. In 2007, St. John’s started the season 6-0-2 and was unbeaten through eight games.
SJU’s Shut-Down “D”
• The Red Storm back line of Sarah Ashmore, Hailey Hemmer, Rachel Hoffman and Georgia Kearney-Perry and starting goalkeeper Diana Poulin have allowed just one goal in 270 minutes of action. The four defenders have played every one of those 270 minutes. The defense has also limited its opponents to just 26 shots in three games.
• Against Massachusetts (Aug. 29), midfielder Lara Kristin Pedersen also played the full 90 minutes.
Red Storm Fifth In NSCAA Regional Rankings
• In the NSCAA/Continental Tire Northeast Regional Poll, St. John’s was voted fifth in the region behind Notre Dame (1), Georgetown (2), Marquette (3) and Boston University (4). St. John’s will play both Georgetown and Marquette this season, both on the road in BIG EAST play in October.
Red Storm Outscores Opponents, 8-1
• St. John’s started the season on a high-scoring note, defeating Delaware (2-1), Fordham (5-0) and Massachusetts (1-0), following two preseason exhibitions victories. The Red Storm has outscored its two opponents 8-1; 16-2 including the exhibitions.
• The last time St. John’s defeated a team by a five-goal margin was against LIU on Sept. 2, 2001 at home. The Red Storm defeated the Blackbirds by the same score, 5-0.
• St. John’s offensive efforts have been the work of the Red Storm’s rookies as rookie Morgan Tinari netted both goals against the Blue Hens and sophomore Rachel Daly has scored four of the last six goals scored by the Red Storm. Rookie net-minder Diana Poulin is 3-0-0 with two shutouts so far.
• St. John’s will have a two-game New England-bound road trip at Central Connecticut State on Friday, Sept. 6 and at Brown on Sunday, Sept. 8. Kick off against CCSU is slated for 7 p.m. The match against the Bears is scheduled for 1 p.m.
• Season tickets are available for just $40. Call 1-888-GO-STORM to order today. Youth teams in eighth grade and below can scrimmage during halftime of any Red Storm home game. Group tickets are available for just $4 each. Call 718-990-2142 for more information. A promotional calendar will also be released.