Sept. 12, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y. -
The Red Storm will travel to Bloomington, Ind. this weekend for its final non-conference road trip of 2013. St. John’s will participate in the 2013 Hoosier Classic hosted by Indiana University, Sept. 13-15. The Red Storm’s first game will be against host-school Indiana on Friday at 6 p.m. St. John’s will then play on Sunday, Sept. 15 at 11 a.m. against the Ohio State Buckeyes, who are receiving votes in the NSCAA top 25.
Kick Off Quick Facts
• Live Stats and video for Friday’s game can be found on IUHoosiers.com. Live stats will be provided through GameTracker, while the game will be carried live on the Big Ten Network or BTN.com. Follow live Twitter updates with @StJohnsWsoccer, #SJUWSoc.
• Friday is the second-ever meeting between St. John’s and Indiana. The two teams last met during the 2009 season when the Red Storm upset the Hoosiers, 2-1, in a come-from-behind victory at Belson Stadium.
• Sunday will also be the second-ever meeting between St. John’s and Ohio State. However, the first time these squads met was in 1996. The Buckeyes got the better of the Red Storm 2-1 in the Navy Tournament in Annapolis, Md.
• St. John’s 6-0-0 start is its best since 2004. In 2007, the Red Storm went unbeaten through eight games with a 6-0-2 record.
• 2013 is the 20th season for head coach Ian Stone
. During his tenure, Stone has guided St. John’s to a BIG EAST and ECAC Championship, an NCAA Tournament berth, 10 BIG EAST Tournaments and 176 wins.
• The Red Storm has scored four or more goals in four games so far this season.
Scouting The Hoosiers
• Like the Red Storm, Indiana is also undefeated at 5-0-1. The Hoosiers have tallied four shut out victories and one 0-0 double-overtime tie at Loyola Chicago on Sept. 1. The Hoosiers defeated its last opponent, Eastern Kentucky, 5-0 on Sept. 8.
• Lisa Nouanesengsy leads the Hoosiers’ scoring efforts with five goals and one assist for 11 points. In goal, Shannon Flower has played all six games and like Red Storm rookie keeper Diana Poulin, has allowed just one goal. Flower’s GAA is 0.16 and she has 15 saves and a .938 save percentage and five shutouts.
• Indiana sophomore Jessie Bujouves was recently named the Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week after she had a pair of game-winning goals and an assist against Eastern Michigan and Eastern Kentucky.
• The 5-0-1 start is the second-best start to a season in school history.
Red Storm vs. Hoosiers - The Series
• St. John’s leads the short series against the Hoosiers, 1-0, after defeating then-ranked No. 12/25 Indiana at home on Sept. 13, 2009. The Red Storm came from behind to win 2-1.
Scouting The Buckeyes
• Ohio State is receiving votes in the latest NSCAA poll released Sept. 10 after starting the season 4-1-1. The Buckeyes began the season with a three-game winning streak, before finishing the game against Arizona in a double-overtime scoreless tie. Last weekend, the Buckeyes split, losing to Boston College, 0-1 and defeating Northeastern 4-1.
• Nichelle Prince leads the Buckeyes’ scoring efforts with four goals and four assists.
• The Buckeyes have played two goalkeepers with Jillian McVicker as the starter at 3-1-1 and Rachel Middleman as the back up at 1-0-0. The two have combined for two shutouts.
Red Storm vs. Buckeyes - The Series
• Sunday’s game is the second game in a series led by Ohio State 1-0. The Red Storm and Buckeyes have not played since Sept. 7, 1996. The Red Storm lost to the Buckeyes 4-1 at the Navy Tournament in Annapolis, Md.
Daly & Marron top NCAA Statistical Categories
• In the first NCAA statistical rankings released Sept. 10, sophomore Rachel Daly and senior Amy Marron lead the country’s Division I players in the offensive categories. Daly leads the NCAA in total points (24) and goals (11). her 4.0 points per game and 1.833 goals per game ranks second among all Division I women’s soccer palyers and No. 1 in the BIG EAST conference.
• Marron leads the nation in total assists (7) and is second in assists per game with 1.17.
• St. John’s will return home to host Dartmouth on Friday, Sept. 20 in the final non-conference match of the season. The Red Storm and the Big Green will kick off at 5 p.m.
Belson Stadium Ticket Info
• Season tickets are available for just $40. Call 1-888-GO-STORM to order today. Youth teams in eighth grade and below can scrimmage during halftime of any Red Storm home game. Group tickets are available for just $4 each. Call 718-990-2142 for more information. A promotional calendar will also be released.