Oct. 11, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y.- The St. John’s women’s soccer team returns to Belson Stadium on Saturday evening when the Red Storm welcomes Villanova for a BIG EAST match. First kick is slated for 7 p.m. and the game can be heard live on StormTracker All-Access.
- St. John’s returns to Belson Stadium on Saturday, October 12, and welcomes league foe Villanova for a 7 p.m. match.
- Follow live Twitter updates with @StJohnsWSoccer and keep the conversation going by using #SJUWSOC.
- The Red Storm enters the game at 7-3-2, 1-2-1 BIG EAST, after going 0-2 on a two-game conference road trip where St. John’s fell 3-1 at No. 21 Marquette and dropped a 2-1 overtime decision at Butler.
- St. John’s three losses have all come on the road losing 2-1 (OT) at Butler, falling 3-1 at Marquette and dropping a 1-0 decision to Ohio State. The Buckeyes earned the win on Sept. 15 as part of the Hoosier Classic hosted by Indiana University.
- At home, St. John’s has not lost in its previous nine outings.
- The Red Storm has only allowed seven goals all season, and had only allowed two heading into Milwaukee. St. John’s owns a Goals-Against Average of 0.560 and Save Percentage of 0.881.
- Villanova enters Saturday’s game with an overall record of 5-6-2 and 2-2-0 in the BIG EAST.
- The Wildcats dropped their last meeting being shutout at DePaul. The Blue Demons blanked its league foe 2-0 despite being outshot 19-11 by Villanova.
- This is the 20th meeting between the programs and Villanova owns a 13-4-2 all-time record over St. John’s. The Red Storm won the last meeting where St. John’s defeated the Wildcats, 2-0, on September 23, 2011 at Belson Stadium.
- St. John’s 6-0-0 start was its best since 2004. In 2007, the Red Storm started 6-0-2.
- 2013 is the 20th season for head coach Ian Stone. During his tenure, Stone has guided St. John’s to a BIG EAST and ECAC Championship, an NCAA Tournament berth, 10 BIG EAST Tournaments and 177 wins.
Scouting the Wildcats
- Saturday night’s game will be Villanova’s 14th of the season. The Wildcats have not won back-to-back games all season and enter Belson Stadium with a 5-6-2 overall record. Their last outing resulted in a 2-0 loss at DePaul on Oct. 6.
- With 19 points this season, Katie Martin leads Villanova with a team-best five goals and nine assists. She is the lone Wildcat registering double-digit points in the 2013 season.
- Katie Martin was tabbed this week’s BIG EAST Rookie of the Week after posting a goal and an assist in a 2-1 vs. Xavier.
- Villanova has scored 18 goals on the season while allowing opponents to score 17. The Wildcats have outshot opponents 170-151.
- Jami Kranich has been Villanova’s only keeper to defend the net in 2013 owning a 5-6-2 record, registering three shutouts and posting a 1.26 GAAvg. She is third in the BIG EAST with a .836 save percentage after allowing 17 goals and making 54 saves.
Daly top-5 in four NCAA statistical categories
- In the NCAA statistical rankings as of Oct. 6, sophomore Rachel Daly ranks in the top-5 in the nation’s Division I players in four offensive categories.
- Daly ranks second in total goals (14), third in both points per game (2.5) and goals per game (1.25), and fourth in total points (30.0).