Oct. 25, 2013
QUEENS, N.Y.- The Red Storm open a two-game homestand on Saturday when St. John's welcomes Seton Hall to Belson Stadium for a 7 p.m. match. The Red Storm enters Saturday's game with a 8-4-3 (2-3-2 BIG EAST) record, while the Pirates sit at 5-9-2 (3-4-0 BIG EAST).
St. John's returns to Belson Stadium on Saturday for a 7 p.m. contest against Seton Hall. The Red Storm will wrap up the season with back-to-back Saturday home matches with DePaul coming to Queens on Nov. 2 at 8 p.m.
Follow live Twitter updates with @StJohnsWSoccer and keep the conversation going by using #SJUWSOC and #United.
The Red Storm enters the game at 8-4-3, 2-3-2 BIG EAST, following a 3-2 overtime win at Providence on Sunday afternoon.
St. John's four losses have all come on the road being shutout 4-0 at No. 15 Georgetown, losing 2-1 (OT) at Butler, falling 3-1 at Marquette and dropping a 1-0 decision to Ohio State. The Buckeyes earned the win on Sept. 15 as part of the Hoosier Classic hosted by Indiana University.
At home, St. John's has not lost in its previous 10 outings.
The Red Storm has only allowed 14 goals all season, and had only allowed two heading into the Marquette game. St. John's owns a Goals-Against Average of 0.89 and Save Percentage of 0.811.
Seton Hall enters Saturday's game with an overall record of 5-9-2 and 3-4-0 in the BIG EAST.
Seton Hall defeated Villanova 5-0 in their last outing with five differnt Pirates finding the back of the net in the victory.
This is the 19th meeting between the two programs and the Red Storms owns a 12-5-1 all-time record over Seton Hall. St. John's won the last meeting by shutting out the Pirates, 4-0.
St. John's 6-0-0 start was its best since 2004. In 2007, the Red Storm started 6-0-2.
- 2013 is the 20th season for head coach Ian Stone. During his tenure, Stone has guided St. John's to a BIG EAST and ECAC Championship, an NCAA Tournament berth, 10 BIG EAST Tournaments and 178 wins.
Scouting the Pirates
- Sunday afternoon's game will be Seton Hall's 17th of the season. The Pirates enter Saturday's game with a 5-9-2 overall record and 3-4-0 mark in conference action.
- The Pirates snapped a four-game losing streak on Oct. 20 with a 5-0 shutout win over Villanova.
- Seton Hall has two Pirates registering double digits with Kaitlyn Ritter leading the group with 15 points on seven goals and one assist, while Ashley Clarke has 13 points on her three goals and team-high seven assists.
- The Pirates have put two keepers in goal this season but Jennifer Pettigrew has seen most of the action owning a 5-9-2 record and 1.18 GAAvg. She has a .779 save percentage after registering 67 stops on the season in 1453:28 minutes.
St. John's vs. Seton Hall - The Series
- This is the 19th meeting all-time between the Pirates and the Red Storm with St. John's owning a 12-5-1 record. When playing on its home turf, St. John's is 7-2-1 over the Pirates.
St. John's Dominates BigAppleSoccer.com POW
- The Red Storm had a student-athlete voted the BigAppleSoccer.com College Player of the Week in four of the first five weeks in 2013.
- Rachel Daly earned the honor on Aug. 26 and Sept. 9. Most recently, Daly was earned it on Oct. 22 for the third time this season.
- Amy Marron was selected on Sept. 2.
- Diana Poulin received the honor on Sept. 23
Daly Ties St. John's All-Time Single Season Goals Record
- Rachel Daly cemented her name in the St. John's record book when she scored two goals at Providence (Oct. 20) to lift the Red Storm to a 3-2 OT win. Daly is now tied with Cristin Burtis for first place in single season goals with 17 on the season.
Tinari & Daly Return Red Storm To Winning Ways
- Rachel Daly and Morgan Tinari joined forces at Providence (Oct. 20) to lift the Red Storm to a 3-2 OT win and snap a five-game non-winning stretch. Daly scored two goals to push the game to overtime and Tinari netted her second game-winner of the season to seal the victory.
Daly Top-5 In Four NCAA Statistical Categories
- In the NCAA statistical rankings as of Oct. 15, sophomore Rachel Daly ranks in the top-5 in the nation's Division I players in four offensive categories.
- Daly ranks second in total goals (15), fourth in points per game (2.46), first in goals per game (1.154), and third in total points (32.0).